Discussion: Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!
Apr 9 2019, 5:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2019, 5:29 PM EDT
Very little info. was put out for this episode; only that Sam and Dean are quite concerned about Jack's soul. The previews show that Lucifer is alive...I don't know what Jack did to Mary. Rowena also makes an appearance. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
kate38
kate38
1. RE: Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!
Apr 12 2019, 6:35 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2019, 7:47 AM EDT
I liked this one! They could very easily have tried to lurch the story forward toward the season finale, but instead they slowed things down and took time to give Mary’s character an appropriate send off. That was a very tasteful and caring way to deal with her. We’ve spent MOST of the series not knowing much about her, and I’ve spent a lot of time not liking her; but I respect the way they decided to say goodbye to her. They even used some flashbacks to show us a little more about her relationships with the other characters. I didn't find the flashbacks all that revealing, but they were still sweet --- especially the one where Dean is driving and Mary has fallen asleep on his shoulder. That contented smile from him was SO honest and embodied him perfectly. Anyway, I thought the flashbacks were a nice touch. It was also very kind to her character and to the fans to let us know that she’s at peace and happy in heaven. That’s about as good as it gets (in death anyway) on this show. And the funeral pyre scene was effectively done. Nice finishing touch.

I liked hearing all the main characters admit that they all dropped the ball in terms of recognizing how dangerous Jack has become – and honestly, how dangerous he’s always been. Yes, at first Dean lashed out at Cas because that’s his way. But I respect how they showed us that Dean, Cas, and Sam ALL, in some way, turned a blind eye because they didn’t want to accept the possibility that things could go as wrong as they did. Whether it was naivete, hubris, or something else, they simply chose to deny what Jack was capable of. They’ve all seen Jack kill people accidentally, so there’s no way this should’ve been a surprise. Jack poses an EXISTENTIAL threat to humanity. Even if TFW wanted to walk away from this, they can't. They've killed lesser monsters for far less.

[...continued...]
Do you find this valuable?    
kate38
kate38
2. RE: Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!
Apr 12 2019, 6:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2019, 7:50 AM EDT
[...continued...]

Interesting resurrection attempt, but I wonder what the down-side will be. Using the Book of the Damned to get something you want is always supposed to come with negative consequences. I wonder what those will be. Nick was lying dead (with a perfectly good [translation resurrectable] corpse, by the way – not vaporized or anything) only a few yards away inside the cabin. I wonder if the resurrection spell is how they’re going to bring Nick back into the story. Or maybe there is some other negative consequence we’ll learn about later. Maybe it was powerful enough to resurrect Lucifer or something…

I’m ALWAYS glad to see Rowena! No surprise to me that I liked her in this one. You know you’re on the wrong side of things when ROWENA is telling you that what you’re doing is wrong. LOL!

I LOVE how they used hallucination-Nick to show us Jack’s inner turmoil!! And now Jack, with his mind-numbing, absolute, black-and-white logic, has decided that the Winchesters can’t be trusted, so will he try to “get” them before they have a chance to get him? I suspect he’ll try. Alternate theory, was hallucination-Nick actually Lucifer trying to cozy up to Jack to get him to talk to him?

And speaking of Jack -- now that he pretty much has NO moral compass whatsoever, what's his next move?

Only TWO episodes left! I’m excited to see how this turns out, but always a little sad to see a season come to an end.

kate
kate38
kate38
3. RE: Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!
Apr 12 2019, 6:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 15 2019, 8:01 PM EDT
I don't like the "MW" being carved into the table with Dean and Sam's initials. It doesn't seem to me like Mary earned that. That was a throwback to the boys as children carving their initial into the Impala. It was a moment of childhood innocence and brotherhood that had nothing to do with Mary. When they did it at the bunker, it was them "leaving their mark" after all they've done, because humanity will likely never know who they are and how many times they've saved us. I don't think Mary was part of that either. I don't remember her stopping too many apocalypses. Did I miss one?

The show spent the first 10 seasons essentially elevating Mary's character to something akin to sainthood. When we finally met Mary, it seemed pretty clear that she was unworthy of that praise. Now, they're elevating her again to the level of two heroes. I don't think she deserves that.

Maybe it's just me not liking Mary, but I wasn't happy to see her initials there. What do y'all think?

kate
kate38
kate38
4. RE: Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!
Apr 12 2019, 7:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2019, 7:12 AM EDT
Oh,and that scene at the funeral pyre when Cas tries to approach Dean and Sam stops him really got me. Sam knows his brother SO well -- clearly well enough to know that he needed some space right then. And poor Cas trying to make amends for something that technically wasn't his fault alone --sigh...

Dean will let him off the spit pretty soon, I hope...

kate
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
5. RE: Let's all talk about "Absence" (S14 E18) here!
Apr 17 2019, 1:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2019, 1:38 PM EDT
Might re-watch this tonight and then will have more thoughts...but I have a good excuse...because I was IN Chicago with kate38, PigNaPoke, and Nikcon7 at the SPN con there having the time of my life with you kick-ass women! But I do have thoughts about Mary's final death. Do you find this valuable?