Discussion: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 10 posts
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 18 2019, 5:57 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2019, 5:57 PM EDT
Last week's episode seemed like a bit of an outlier, but we learned that Sam feels like a failed leader after the death, at Michael's hands, of the AU hunters...and we learned that Jack is very very powerful and may not always use his powers like he should (even when he thinks he's doing the right thing). So far, he still has good intentions, but it's upsetting that he's not sure how he feels...he may not have much soul in there.

This week, the teens from the town of Lebanon who were in the 300th episode return. It looks like Jack tries to befriend them. What could go wrong?

And judging from the promo photos, Sam and Dean DO go into the woods.
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
kate38
kate38
1. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 20 2019, 2:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 20 2019, 2:30 PM EDT
"Last week's episode seemed like a bit of an outlier, but we learned that Sam feels like a failed leader after the death, at Michael's hands, of the AU hunters...and we learned that Jack is very very powerful and may not always use his powers like he should (even when he thinks he's doing the right thing). So far, he still has good intentions, but it's upsetting that he's not sure how he feels...he may not have much soul in there.

This week, the teens from the town of Lebanon who were in the 300th episode return. It looks like Jack tries to befriend them. What could go wrong?

And judging from the promo photos, Sam and Dean DO go into the woods."
Ugh! I did NOT like the kids from Lebanon, but I'm willing to give the writers some latitude here and wait to see what happens.

p.s. Is it wrong to hope that one of the kids gets killed? If Jack does it, I'll have a reason to like Jack! I'm so conflicted :) LOL!

kate
kate38
kate38
2. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 21 2019, 8:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 5:53 AM EDT
I liked this one a LOT!!

The bathroom scene was delightfully creepy! And I loved the dark, sinister atmosphere for the whole episode. Did the film quality look different to anyone else? It was most notable when the boogeyman melted, but the whole episode seemed to have a different quality to me.

I LOVE that the Winchesters got to hunt a monster we’ve never heard of before!! This show just keeps bringing its A game!! Question, though – why did it claw the girl, but acid-burn the guy? Maybe he got interrupted before he got a chance to finish with the girl, but he didn’t claw the guy first, so the M.O. is different. Anyway, NICE creepy monster!

I’m glad that Dean suggested leaving Jack behind. He’s always been more practical than Sam, and I’m glad he reminded Sam about the security guard and Jack’s unpredictability, which ended up being predictable. At least Jack finally healed someone, so there’s that. I don’t think we’ve ever seen him heal anyone. He's lying to Dean and Sam, though, which can't possibly end well.

I DO NOT like the Ghostfacers, but at least they weren’t actually IN the episode, just referenced in it.

I’m trying to give the Lebanon kids a chance, but I just don’t like them. They are SUCH MORONS – especially the blonde. How dare she suggest the Winchesters smell like booze and Old Spice! What an idiot. She doesn’t even like The WHO and Dean is NOT NOT NOT old!! That girl is a waste of electricity. And the other one walked INTO A KNIFE! What the he**??? Who does that? Hey, maybe if you're so worried about doing poorly on the SATs, you should STOP SKIPPING SCHOOL to hang out with your friends. And what’s up with these kids hanging out in abandoned houses? The last time didn’t work out so well for them, and this time one of them got stabbed. Get a clue! Don’t they have shopping malls in or near Lebanon??? What a bunch of a**butts!

[...continued...]
kate38
kate38
3. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 21 2019, 8:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2019, 9:02 PM EDT
[...continued...]

I know both brothers have been through a lot, but Dean was possessed TWICE by a freaking archangel, and he's holding up better than Sam, who seems to be a mopey sad sack for the past several episodes. I’m just gonna say this…Not that Jared isn’t doing a great job, but is Sam going to be an emotional wreck for the whole season? Asking for a friend…

kate
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
4. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 22 2019, 9:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 9:56 AM EDT
WOOOOOW.....uuuuhmmm....I am truly at a loss of words over this one.
You know I always try to find something positive to say and make the best of even slightly "off" episodes. With THIS one, however, I have a really really hard time to do so.
I found it utterly boring and lackluster! The monster made NO sense to me. Plus, imo, the characters all behaved oddly or downright irritating.
I DID like the LOOK - lighting, directing – of the episode. It was very old-style-monster-movie to me and that was cool. HA! I guess I did like ONE thing…
Here’s what I didn’t:
MONSTER - sigh! The lore was so lazy! Everything they said about the "whistler" was actually Native American lore and legends of WENDIGO! I did a lot of research on that when I was writing a story and the whole bit about a human being starved until resorting to cannibalism and the resulting Native American curse or bad spirit turning him into a monster that will always be hungry for human flesh is exactly how many of the Northern Atlantic , Great Lakes Region and Northern Minnesota tribes tell stories about Wendigo.
I can dig that they had an Native American storyline and monster and sheriff. I have been hoping for more of that for a long time, I just wished they had picked a different legend and monster…there are PLENTY to choose from.
But aside from the Wendigo connection, I found the monster was not conceived well. The whistling was so weird and odd, considering it looked like a tree monster and didn't seem to have lips to whistle with. And why would it whistle in the first place? Just to be eerie? It’s not exactly a sound that would draw your victims in… Then it didn't eat or at least take a chunk out of the victims even though that was supposed to be its MO? Ok, maybe it was interrupted with Barbara, I give them that. But what about the hiker?

...continues...
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
5. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 22 2019, 9:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 9:57 AM EDT
...continued...

I missed something there, I think, the monster spit acid at the hiker dude and then….? Dragged him off? Was he dead or just missing the next morning when the sheriff called of the search? If they had the hikers dead body, then my question is again “why did the monster not eat him or at least drag him off?”. If the hiker was just missing, why call off the search? Big story holes in my book.

THE SHERIFF – I found the sheriff’s argument in the woods about how Sam and Dean supposedly not give people a choice to fight back by not spreading the word about monsters to the world COMPLETELY overblown and strange. Not to mention “rich” coming from the guy who had the knowledge from his people to begin with but chose to ignore it. It seemed that whole rant was only written, so Sam could show how torn he still is about losing the other hunters? ODD!
SAM – Last week he as tortured and sad and “needed time” to cope with his perceived failure as a leader….this week he is cheery and ready to forge on and when Dean even brings up his plea for time Sam looks at him, like he doesn’t know what Dean is talking about. But then in the end he is teary eyed over the hunters again? HUH? I got whiplash from that one.
DEAN – He seemed somehow detached and slightly off to me all episode long. I have a REALLY hard time believing that both Dean and Sam would leave Jack behind ALONE– especially with Cas being gone as well! They are/were all worried about Jack’s soul-status and his reawakened powers, but they think it’s an awesome idea to send him on a solo shopping trip to town amongst civilians??? NO WAY!
What the kid needs now is help and guidance not avoidance and ignorance from the brothers!!!

continues....
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
6. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 22 2019, 9:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 9:58 AM EDT
...continued...

And apparently Sam DID have an issue with lying to Jack about their concerns and leaving him behind? But he doesn’t say anything until at the very end of the episode at which time he pretty much accuses Dean of handling it poorly? Well….you were right there and didn’t say anything, Bro! WTH?
I want Sam and Dean to be written as intelligent and intuitive as we all know they are! This episode seemed like someone wrote a story about them without really knowing their base character traits.
CAS - ??? Had to leave because he was done being cooped up in the bunker for a few weeks??? Really? He is an ANGEL with infinite time and patience. Have we forgotten that? And his primary concern last time I checked was JACK, but now he runs out to stretch his legs. Weird, not Cas-like, illogical behavior just to get him out of the way. Sigh.
JACK – love the kid, I do! However, this week they wrote him so ignorant and naïve and idiotic, that it seemed like a GIANT step back to his very beginnings in this world! I found that implausible and irritating. Telling the new “friends” all these monster secrets, bringing books from the bunker, showing and explaining an angel blade….all monumentally stupid. Then he lies to Sam at the end telling him nothing happened?
I had seen real growth in Jack before. He seemed to have learned a lot from his mistakes over the last year and now they wipe it all clean again and let him play like a toddler with his awesome power? WHY? Super odd choice for me from a story perspective and really disappointing. It’s also a disservice to all the Winchesters and Cas have done for Jack and taught him since the beginning and I can’t see a reason why that is necessary? Are we suddenly supposed to believe that Jack is unteachable, can’t or doesn’t want to learn, when he was beating himself up before about getting people killed on his watch or having them killed by accident himself?

...continues...
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
7. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 22 2019, 10:00 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 10:00 AM EDT
...last bit...

I did like the idea of him being lonely and drawn to the kids from Lebanon who want to befriend him or at least fan over him. That part was realistic to me for a young person trying to find his place in the world. But the harsh lesson of “they only like you because you are interesting and drop you as soon as you scare them” was over simplified and rushed and therefore annoying to me.

I just felt manipulated and thrown off by the BOTH major story lines this week.

PNP
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
8. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 22 2019, 12:09 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 12:09 PM EDT
I haven't watched this one yet (TV reception issues!), but will tonight and still couldn't resist reading all the comments! :) If they did Jack like that, I will be disappointed. I thought in the last episode that they finally took him from being sweet and naive to being something else; powerful and, with less caring behind it (not knowing how he felt about anything), much more dangerous. I was a bit sad they were going to take away the sweet part of him, but it made sense and he has to progress and if Michael is NOT the big evil they are now fighting...making Jack dangerous seems logical (though I don't like it). It sounds like they undid some of that progress here. Darn. But I'll write more after I see it. I tried to start watching it (through the broken-up signal) and the Sherrif is Adam Beach, right? Probably the most or one of the most famous/successful Native American actors. My wife and I have loved him for many years and I was downright shocked to see him on Supernatural! I joked to her that he's "finally made it" and she laughed. Do you find this valuable?    
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
9. RE: Let's all talk about "Don't Go Into the Woods" (S14 E16) here!
Mar 22 2019, 5:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2019, 5:37 PM EDT
"I haven't watched this one yet (TV reception issues!), but will tonight and still couldn't resist reading all the comments! :) If they did Jack like that, I will be disappointed. I thought in the last episode that they finally took him from being sweet and naive to being something else; powerful and, with less caring behind it (not knowing how he felt about anything), much more dangerous. I was a bit sad they were going to take away the sweet part of him, but it made sense and he has to progress and if Michael is NOT the big evil they are now fighting...making Jack dangerous seems logical (though I don't like it). It sounds like they undid some of that progress here. Darn. But I'll write more after I see it. I tried to start watching it (through the broken-up signal) and the Sherrif is Adam Beach, right? Probably the most or one of the most famous/successful Native American actors. My wife and I have loved him for many years and I was downright shocked to see him on Supernatural! I joked to her that he's "finally made it" and she laughed. "
YES, Adam Beach! I loved that part and he did a great job with what he had....I was just unhappy with WHAT they picked as a Native American legend to explore...they have some great water related monsters like horned lake serpents and skunk monsters that eat and drown people with the Great Lakes tribes...pick one of those.
Sorry, maybe I am taking this too seriously, but when you GO THERE...do it right, ya know. Otherwise it's just lazy and disrespectful.

Shutting up now.

PNP