Discussion: Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!
Nov 7 2018, 2:30 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 7 2018, 2:30 PM EST
I'm always happy to see Bobby. Details on this one are a bit thin, but Mary and Bobby will be there. If it has to do with walking into your worst nightmare, I wonder if we'll gain some insight into what Sam and Dean are most afraid of? Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
kate38
kate38
1. RE: Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!
Nov 8 2018, 9:21 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2018, 9:26 PM EST
I LOVE that this one kept me guessing! That hour FLEW by.

So, this Michael thing opens a whole BUNCH of doors in terms of monster lore. EVERYTHING we think we know about every monster is HISTORY. We’ve met vamps, werewolves, and now djinn who are totally new monsters. I know it’s sort of frustrating, because we have to un-learn what we thought we knew and relearn new stuff, but it also gives me a lot of hope for season 14 (and dare I say season 15?????) because it means these stories can go in totally new directions. The possibilities are mind-boggling.

I liked the emotional tone of this episode. We know Dean has been struggling, but we haven’t SEEN a lot of his internal conflict so far. Now that he’s getting an idea of how far-reaching Michael’s plans are, he’s having a much harder time forgiving himself for what happened. I think we’ll see more of his struggle. I also liked the scenes with Sam and Mary, and Mary and Bobby. The overall tone wasn’t overly emotional, but those conversations told us a lot about what’s going on with these characters. I appreciated that.

Burning question: What the HE** happened when the djinn tried to read Dean’s nightmares? Was he repelled by something (i.e. residual archangel grace???), or are Dean’s nightmares so intense and horrible that the djinn couldn’t take it? Theories??

[...continued...]
Do you find this valuable?    
kate38
kate38
2. RE: Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!
Nov 8 2018, 9:23 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2018, 9:48 PM EST
[...continued...]

Another big question for me: WHY would anyone – especially Sam -- let Maggie go on a hunt alone, knowing how inexperienced she is??? There was only one way for that to end. I know Bobby was tough on Sam, but he was also right. Maggie is nowhere near ready to hunt alone. I get that she needs experience, but there was no reason to send her ALONE. What was Sam thinking? Or was he too exhausted to make the right decision? Along those lines, Sam should know the pitfalls of burning the candle at both ends. He reprimands Dean for that often enough…

LOL! I can’t get used to how AU Bobby dresses. He’s like “Bobby light” – all the attitude, but nicer clothes :). On a more serious note, I like having part of AU-Bobby’s back story, because it reinforces the fact that he’s NOT our Bobby. And Jim Beaver is just a pleasure to watch, so I was very happy about those scenes. Speaking of Bobby, I know lots of folks won’t agree with me, but I like the Bobby-Mary thing. I still don’t really like Mary, but I think this thing with Bobby could be good for him, so I want to see it play out. And it might be good for her, too.

Speaking of Mary, I was a little surprised that she told Sam that being a hunter is what he was meant to do. That’s a total about-face from her not wanting either of her sons to be hunters. I expected her to say something like she still wishes Sam and Dean could’ve had different lives, but she’s happy that they’re so good at what they do and so dedicated to the cause and to each other, or something like that. I didn’t expect to hear her say this is what Sam was meant to do.

Anyway, I liked this one. I can feel the show going in totally different directions than we've seen in the past, and I like it so far.

kate
kate38
kate38
3. RE: Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!
Nov 8 2018, 9:37 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2018, 10:33 PM EST
One thing that bothered me a bit was when Dean walked into the war room and the AU hunters looked at him like he was out of place. And from his reaction, it was obvious that HE felt out of place in his own home. That doesn't sit well with me. After being essentially homeless for most of his life, he and Sam have had a home at the bunker since season 8. The concept of having a "home"' has always meant more to Dean than it has to Sam. And now he's not able to relax there, and the people who are there don't seem to treat him like it's his home. I get that they're probably still weirded out about the Michael thing, but their attitude toward him still bothers me a lot. Yes, they know Sam a lot better and have had a lot more time to get to know and respect Sam, so I'm not expecting them to treat Dean exactly the same way. But they barely look at Dean or speak to him. It's not cool.

Dean already feels horribly guilty over the Michael thing, and now he can't decompress like he needs to. I hope he doesn't get frustrated and leave his home.

kate
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
4. RE: Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!
Nov 9 2018, 12:52 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2018, 12:52 AM EST
I had many of your same thoughts, Kate. Maggie should never have gone alone, Dean still being the "new guy" at the bunker with the AW hunters, Bobby is not entirely our Bobby....

I took the mind reading thing as Dean's nightmares being so horrible (even if they were Michael memories) that the Djinn couldn't handle it. But that's how I see Dean. BTW, way to put down a Djinn and make sure it's down, Dean.

I am, weirdly okay now with AW Bobby and Mary. I still wonder if AW Bobby and Jody will ever run into each other which would be weird for Jody...like seeing a ghost. Mary never knew real Bobby, so it's more like a clean slate. I kinda see Mary and real Bobby as Sam and Dean's real parents anyway...even though this isn't the same Bobby.

I wanna like Mary, but I still want more emotional acting range from Sam Smith that's just not there for me...still.

Convenient way to explain why we won't see Mary and Bobby for awhile. And Donna's cabin? Cool, but what about Rufus' cabin?

Sam...I love Sam right now. I hope that by the end of this season he'll feel confident as a leader.

I still don't like the weird unexplained exit of Michael and the too-convenient "every old monster is new now" idea, but I enjoyed the more psychological trend in this episode. Even the daughter was believable as at the end of her rope.

Hee Hee; make me a sandwich.

I still find the bleeding of a Djinn victim to be one of the creepiest monster M.O.'s on Supernatural.

We didn't learn about Sam's nightmares...unless it's failing as a leader. I still believe Sam and Dean's worst nightmares would be losing each other through some kind of mistake or bad decision.

AW Charlie next week!

adrainsmith
5. RE: Let's all talk about "Nightmare Logic" (S14 E5) HERE!
Nov 10 2018, 12:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 10 2018, 12:39 AM EST
Check out the description, sneak peek photos, and promotional trailers for the new episode here...https://bit.ly/2JSS4NG Do you find this valuable?