Discussion: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 10 posts
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E16) HERE!
Mar 28 2018, 10:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2018, 5:54 PM EDT
Long-awaited and highly-anticipated. The cast and writers and show runners seem to have gotten a huge kick out of this one. My guess is that it'll be a stand-alone, like French Mistake. I was dreading it (a cartoon, people?!), but now I'm looking forward to it after everything I've read about it. I think it will be good. And fun. And distinctly Supernatural. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
blaecsable
blaecsable
1. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Mar 29 2018, 8:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 29 2018, 8:01 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Something new and different! all I can say is ...Scooby Dooby Doo!!

Sable
Do you find this valuable?    
kate38
kate38
2. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Mar 29 2018, 9:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 29 2018, 10:47 PM EDT
Well, I expected it to be silly, so I wasn’t disappointed. I only cringed a few times, though, so there’s that. Dean flirting with Daphne got old really quick for me. He seemed desperate, and I didn’t like that. Otherwise, it was pretty much what I expected.

Although it didn’t feel like an episode of Supernatural to me, I appreciate how much they tried to keep some of the “spirit” of Supernatural intact -- Dean, Sam, and Cas acted like themselves (until Dean at the end with the ascot thing). And the Scooby Doo animation was what I remembered. I think if I’d been more into Scooby Doo as a child this episode would’ve meant more to me. But I wasn’t, so it didn’t.

I liked the ending, though. They managed to leave the Scooby gang psychologically intact (instead of leaving disaster in their wake), they got the bad guy, and they sent the trapped spirit to his rest. THAT part felt like Supernatural. The ascot was stupid, though…

I was VERY happy to see the main story line move forward in this episode. Every time they do one of these "different" episodes (like The French Mistake), the writers normally add a little tidbit at the end to tie the episode back to one of the main story arcs. Cas finding fruit from the tree of life means that they only need 2 more ingredients! And it looks like in the next episode they're going to learn that Gabriel is alive, so they're closing in on some archangel grace. I am glad that at least that kernel of Supernatural was there.

Anyway, this was my least favorite episode of the season, but I DO appreciate what they tried to do. I love that the writers and creators trust this fandom enough to take chances and try things like this. And based on the positive reaction on Twitter tonight (the episode was trending almost immediately and reached #1), I think most of the fans had a wonderful time with this episode.

I'm glad so many people enjoyed it.

kate

kate38
kate38
3. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Mar 29 2018, 9:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 29 2018, 9:06 PM EDT
"Hey Guys,

Something new and different! all I can say is ...Scooby Dooby Doo!!

Sable"
Yes :) it was definitely new and different :)

kate
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
4. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Mar 29 2018, 11:09 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 29 2018, 11:11 PM EDT
Complete disaster.

But I think you are right, Kate, that I disliked it so much, in part, because I have no childhood nostalgia or love for Scooby Doo. I loved the X-Files, and that probably had a lot to do with why I really enjoyed Clap Your Hands if You Believe. It subtly made fun of some parts of X-Files, while still feeling like Supernatural.

I don't like Maltese Falcon style movies, so I disliked A Most Holy Man.

I am not a fan of the homage episodes in general and you couldn't be more homage than this. I got what they were trying to do...the making fun of the Scooby formula and how predictable and silly it is. It just was so far beneath what Supernatural can be.

Jensen can kill it when asked to do comedy, but he had nothing clever or funny to work with here. I did not laugh once.

If you have nostalgia for Scooby Doo, perhaps you liked it. It did NOTHING for me.

It felt like the guys (writers of this episode) got a new toy...they got to play with animation but it felt like nothing more than a gimmick. The whole thing kinda just made me sad.
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
5. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Mar 29 2018, 11:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 29 2018, 11:40 PM EDT
Like, even the sharks were jumping over other sharks for me. But I feel the same way about cartoons as Sam feels about clowns. Do you find this valuable?    
kate38
kate38
6. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Mar 30 2018, 9:19 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 30 2018, 9:21 AM EDT
"If you have nostalgia for Scooby Doo, perhaps you liked it. It did NOTHING for me.

It felt like the guys (writers of this episode) got a new toy...they got to play with animation but it felt like nothing more than a gimmick. The whole thing kinda just made me sad."
Sorry this ep made you sad, T. I'm pretty sure this was a one off and we'll get back to the main story in the next episode.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment. I'll stretch a little further and say that they have done successful "crossover-esque" or homage episodes before. I liked "Clap Your Hands", but I also liked "Monster Movie", "Stuck in the Middle with You", and "A Most Holy Man". I even liked "Hunteri Heroici", which was a HUGE nod to the old Warner Brothers cartoons -- I LOVED those as a kid, so that one was a lot of fun for me.

For me, this episode would've worked better if it had FELT more like an episode of Supernatural. To me, it didn't. When I add the fact that the crossover with this particular cartoon wasn't my favorite, it just made this an even bigger miss for me.

That said, the fans on social media seemed to love this one, so I guess that means these writers read the fan base right this time. It wouldn't be the first time I'm on the opposite side of that -- as you know, I hated Fan Fiction. By now, I'm comfortable with the fact that the fan base is so large and diverse that it's hard to please all of us with every episode, so there will be hits and misses -- especially when the show takes a BIG chance like it did with last night's episode -- and that's the nature of this beautiful beast.

kate
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
8. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Apr 3 2018, 11:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2018, 11:07 PM EDT
"Like, even the sharks were jumping over other sharks for me. But I feel the same way about cartoons as Sam feels about clowns."
HEHEHEHE! Goof one, JBB!!

Sorry it was scary torture for ya!

PNP
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
9. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Apr 3 2018, 11:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2018, 11:38 PM EDT
Yup, I am one of the fans who LOVED this one!!! And it clearly is because I grew up with and adored Scooby-Doo back in the day.

Yes, it was silly! So was Scooby-Doo. So it was totally ok with me that this wasn't a Supernatural episode that had Scooby-Doo characteristics, but an episode of Scooby-Doo that had the Guys in it!

It ALL worked for me - EXCEPT the ascot in the end, when Dean was real again...but I can shrug that off.

I loved Dean's fanboy attitude and the way he thought of himself as the better match for Daphne! HA! And Dean's speech to get the Scooby Gang back on track, showing us how they were important role models to him in his childhood.

Absolutely LOVED that Baby was animated, too, and was having a race - or not - with the Mystery Machine.

I also appreciated the actual case and how it all tied the two parts of the story together.

Sam's skepticism was funny, too. And that HE was the one getting dipped and kissed by Velma in the end was too cute.

I, too, really liked the fact that Sam and Dean wanted to protect the innocence of the Scooby Gang - and in a way therefore protect a tiny bit of their own childhood - and went to some extra length coming up with an appropriate Scooby-ish explanation for the whole thing.

LOVED the way the dead bodies were nicely cartoon-creepy and over the top gory. hehe

It had all of the classic Scooby elements - like the silly chase through the mansion with the doors and hiding in convenient big vases and the ridiculous trap - and the added fun of Team Free Will in the mix.

And I think you could HEAR how much fun the cast had voicing it, which was cute.

To me it was a WAY more successful homage to the cartoon genre than "The Most Holy Man" was to Film Noir, which seemed overly obvious and more like a caricature to me.

LOVED IT! Another FUN one off!

PNP
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
10. RE: Let's all talk about "ScoobyNatural" (S13 E15) HERE!
Apr 3 2018, 11:39 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2018, 11:39 PM EDT
On the other side - I am REALLY hoping that we are now getting DEEP into the real story arc and get some awesome tension building towards the end of the season...BIG FINISH, please, after a few past "meh" episodes!!!

PNP